The following Plants are believed to have medicinal properties for the treatment (or prevention) of Diabetes and Kidney-related ailments:
Sar Boh Chau (Urena lobata), also known as Congo Jute or Pulut-pulut – treatment for chronic renal failure. Read a personal testimonial here.
This is NOT an endorsement of the claimed medicinal properties of the plants cited below. You are invited to contribute your first-person account (or about someone you know personally) of the efficacy of these plants.
- Aloe Vera – treatment for diabetes and for proper function of kidney.
- Cashew – the bark is boiled with water for the treatment of diabetes.
- Hempedu Bumi (Andrographis paniculata) – a decoction of leaves is taken to cure diabetes (also mixed with Misai Kuching for greater effectiveness).
- Periwinkle – the leaf decoction is taken to cure diabetes.
- Ara (Ficus roxburghii) – an infusion of the leaves is taken for the treatment of diabetes.
- Bitter Gourd – the fruit is used to treat diabetes.
- Noni, Mengkudu (Morinda citrifolia) – the ripe fruit is eaten to treat diabetes.
- Holy Basil, Kemangi (Ocimum tenuiflorum L.) – lowers blood glucose levels in non-insulin-dependent diabetic patients; also prescribed for ailments of the urino-genital tract.
- Misai Kuching (Orthosiphon aristatus) – for urinary tract ailments; also mixed with Hempadu Bumi for more effective treatment of diabetes.
- Petai (Parkia speciosa) – seeds and pods are well known for treatment of diabetes and kidney ailments.
- Dukung Anak (Phyllanthus amarus) – Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes and kidney ailments.
- Plantain, Ekor Anjing (Plantago major) – used as diuretic and treatment of diabetes.
- Purslane, Gelang Pasir (Portulaca oleracea L.) – used as diuretic, treatment of urinary tract disorders and decreases blood glucose level.
- Petawali (Tinospora crispa) – treat high blood pressure and diabetes.
- Congo jute, Pulut-pulut, Sar Boh Chau (Urena Lobata) – used as diuretic and treatment of chronic renal failure.
- Hak Min Jeong Guan, Black Face General, Pecah Beling (Strobilanthes crispus) – used to treat diabetes and lowers blood glucose level.
- Karapincha, curry leaf – the tea helps control diabetes.
- South African Leaves (Vernonia amygdalina)
Ref: Herbs of Malaysia (J.Samy, M. Sugumaran, Kate Lee) – Times Edition (ISBN 983-300-179-3) (except Black Face General, Karapincha).
Contact : email@example.com if you have any problem posting your contribution.